AFP
Neubauer Artists LLC
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Mexican security officials found the bodies of 19 men piled into the back of a truck, the local prosecutor’s office said late on Monday, with the victims allegedly linked to a gunfight between a Guatemalan criminal gang and Mexico’s powerful Sinaloa cartel.

A government security source in Chiapas told Reuters the victims were Guatemalan members of a criminal group fighting for territorial control in the area.

“It’s a criminal group that wants to get into the area. They’re Guatemalans, and this is where they’re facing off against several (criminal) cells, in this case from Sinaloa,” the source said.

Guatemala’s consulate in Chiapas [Chapas] is in the process of identifying some of the victims, as four to seven of the bodies are presumed to be Guatemalans, the Central American country’s foreign affairs ministry told reporters.

The ministry said it was in touch with the Chiapas prosecutor’s office, adding it will work to determine the nationalities of all of the victims.

Mexico’s president Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador called the incident an “unfortunate confrontation” during his regular morning press conference on Tuesday, adding that both Mexicans and Guatemalans were among the dead.

In recent years, Chiapas has increasingly played host to gangland violence believed to be connected to criminal rackets including drugs and human smuggling.

“As a result of the increase in migrant trafficking in the area, the Sinaloa cartel, which previously controlled drug trafficking there, has become very strong,” the Chiapas [Chapas] security source said.

Reuters/AP/Los Angeles Times

About The Author

You May Also Like

Miss Universe Fátima Bosch Stylist Arrested, Now Fugitive In Europe (Video)

After hitting the face and leaving Miss Universe Global 2025, Andrea del Val bloodied. Giovanni Laguna was handcuffed, paid bond and now is the run in Europe.

Jeffrey Epstein Case Investigation Expands In Europe With Ten More Underage Victims

The German case against Jeffrey Epstein continues, this time in Europe. It ‘goes out’ on European press as a new investigation

Raúl Rocha And Fátima Bosch Banned From Cannes

The co-owner of Miss Universe and the highly controversial Miss Universe 2025 have suffered another humiliation, this time in Cannes.